Sunday, August 23, 2009

WHEN BAD STORYLINES HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE

Fastforwarding through AS THE WORLD TURNS from 6/23-29, we only stopped to watch the 6/29 episode in its' entirety -- it featured Nuke, Margo, Casey, Colonel Mayer, Tom, Riley, Damien and some day players. With the exception of Riley, these are some of my favorite characters, played by actors who are always worth watching, even in bad stories. What do we have to do to actually get these talented thespians in a well written plot that actually makes sense? When we watched the Pisces Twins story, I made excuses -- 'Oh this is stupid but I enjoy it anyway because it features actors I like." I'm sick of making excuses. ATWT has recently added a couple of new writers to their team. Let's hope the coming months will bring a rejuvenated ATWT that doesn't feel like a guilty pleasure at best, a lame duck at worst.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

May I throw in my 2 cents regarding this phenomenon? Phil Daniels was tragically given the most ridiculous storylines in EASTENDERS. How can you screw up the opportunity of working with the quintessential Cockney actor on a show about London's East End?!

Perhaps a companion post could explore the times when good storylines happen to bad people. Because let's face it, there are MANY times in television, films and theatre where a sub-par actor can fuck up reading the alphabet, much less the sublime work of some of our best dramatists. Jude Law, I'm talking about you!

Unemployed Soap Viewer said...

Tell me more about Phil Daniels in EASTENDERS -- I'm curious! You think all they'd have to write is "Phil walks into the room and opens his mouth" and it would take care of itself, really!

I'm sorry to say that I think ALL MY CHILDREN is full of good storylines happening to bad people right now. Angie and Jesse's children, the recast Liza, the recast Scott Chandler -- limited or poorly cast actors can really distance you from what are otherwise well plotted, well written stories.