Thursday, November 19, 2009

LEMON COUPLE?

In the current issue of SOAP OPERA DIGEST Carolyn Hinsey refers to the "lemon couples" of ALL MY CHILDREN: Brot/Natalia, JR/Marissa, Erica /Ryan and...Adam/Annie. REALLY? I dig Adam and Annie a lot -- a crazy old bastard paired with a young psycho, both played by great actors, makes for riveting viewing. If this pairing is a lemon, then it must be lemonade! (I can't believe I just wrote that.)

While I'm on the subject of SOD columnists, I read with interest Mala Bhattacharjee's blog where she expressed dismay at a South Asian actor appearing on THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL ...as a cab driver. Being half South Asian myself, I agree that there are much better roles for South Asian actors in soaps and TV, in general. For example, many South Asians work in the medical profession and that needs more representation now that ER is over. Also, 97% of South Asian women are beautiful and would seem a natural choice for soaps. I mostly appreciate color blind casting, where a person's ethnicity has nothing to do with the role, like Rekha Sharma in BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and V. More along those lines, please!

DAYS OF OUR LIVES continued to astonish. The confrontation in jail between Mia and Nicole was great because Mia said EVERYTHING you wanted to say to Nicole, and did NOT let up. "You're a MONSTER!" she wailed. I know the actress who plays Mia is like, 3 or something, but she rocked!

I also watched ONE LIFE TO LIVE, which showed off the chemistry between McBain and Natalie to good effect, and GENERAL HOSPITAL, where James Franco made his first appearance to the tune of MAD WORLD while wearing a hoodie. Very DONNIE DARKO.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

97% of South Asian women are beautiful? Really? I think it's more like 98.5% and that DOES include the Ghetto Fabulour Retired Mom...

I can't believe you wrote "lemonade" either.

Jennifer said...

Shit on a shingle, USV, where is the latest post? It's March already and I have nothing to bitch back at. Get off the Hot Employed Boyfriend and get on with blogging!

Unemployed Soap Viewer said...

I'll post tonight! My soap viewing has been very bitty lately. The cancellation of AS THE WORLD TURNS has also lessened my enthusiasm for soaps -- why watch if they're all going to end just as soon as they get good?

Jennifer said...

The same could be said for sex, but it is a horse (ahem) that we all must climb back on.

Unemployed Soap Viewer said...

Speaking of sex, no more hot gay sex on ONE LIFE TO LIVE as they have canned their gay couple! When even HOLLYOAKS is more progressive with their gay storylines, you know something is wrong with US soaps!

Jennifer said...

I couldn't possibly comment on HOLLYOAKS, as I am above such trite entertainment. BUT I am not above watching Rumor Willis playing lesbian in 90210. (Don't ask - I was stuck in a US hospital for 2 weeks and it was either 90210, GUMSMOKE or LAW & freaking ORDER.) Lesbians in soaps have come a long way since denim-studded Della in mid'90s EASTENDERS.