Friday, February 27, 2009

WHY CRYSTAL HUNT IS BETTER THAN MOLLY BURNETT

Because she can act!
Seriously, ONE LIFE TO LIVE's Stacy and DAYS OF OUR LIVES' Melanie are both bad to the bone but I enjoy watching Stacy because Crystal Hunt is one stone cold bitch.  DOOL's Melanie, on the other hand, keeps trying to play the "I'm really vulnerable and sympathetic!  Enjoy my mischief!" card that becomes extremely tiresome in the hands of Molly Burnett, who overdoes the infantile pout something fierce.  I also enjoyed seeing Vanessa booted out of Llanview.  She was such an odd, bland character whose motivations were never clear.

GUIDING LIGHT continues to be on an upswing, despite being bookended with Kane Manera scenes.   Any time there are scenes with Reva, Jeffrey, Philip, Buzz and Alan I am glued to the screen.  If there's one thing GL does well, it is grief and its consequences -- remember, GL only started to get good about 5 years ago when it appeared Philip had been killed.    Now, if this absurd Lizzie kidnapping plot comes to a conclusion and Ellen Wheeler takes a leap and makes Natalia and Olivia lovers, GL might just become my new favorite show.  Though I am starting to wonder about Ashlee.  Shouldn't we be seeing her reaction to Coop's death?  (Full disclaimer: I haven't been watching every episode, so apologies if I missed some prime Caitlin Van Zandt emoting.)  

I haven't written about AS THE WORLD TURNS in ages.  That's because our DVR is insanely backed up and we only watched the episode from 1/23/09 tonight!  It is hard to get motivated to watch this show when there isn't a Nuke storyline running.  It is even harder when a boxset of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA is competing for your viewing!  Hopefully we will get caught up in time for the ATWT fan club luncheon in April. Onwards!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you have mentioned the revamped 90210 (I mean, why?) in your blog, I just wanted to ask if I should feel ashamed that I've been watching and enjoying re-runs of PARTY OF FIVE? Pre-LOST Matthew Fox is as hot as ever (Didn't he age well?!), but it just goes to show that Neve Campbell really needs to be stopped. She almost made the West End play LOVE SONG (with a cast of Cillian Murphy, Kristen Johnston and Michael McKean) unbearable. Scream indeed...

Unemployed Soap Viewer said...

The only reason 90210 ever got brought back was the success of GOSSIP GIRL. Unfortunately, new 90210 is bereft of charm, fun or drama.
I never saw much of PARTY OF FIVE. It was the kind of show I watched if friends were over and they insisted on watching, but would not seek out myself! There is NEVER any shame in watching Foxy, though, who has definitely gotten better with age!

Anonymous said...

I thought 90210 was brought back because Shannen Doherty needed bail money.

The new series is also bereft of Luke "Black Rebel Motorcycle Club" Perry. Talk about another '90s TV hunk who has aged well.

Regarding GOSSIP GIRL, I say that Chuck and Dan get their own series. A sort of teenage ODD COUPLE.

Unemployed Soap Viewer said...

The strength of GOSSIP GIRL (TV version) lies in the frenemies of the show, like Dan/Chuck, Dan/Blair or Georgina/Everybody. The producers of GG would be wise to remember that is what keeps us watching. No one really cares if Blair and Chuck become a couple, nor if Chuck finds out the secrets of his father's sex orgy club.