Tuesday, May 20, 2008

From AMC to GOSSIP GIRL!

Today has been somewhat woozy for me, since I've had the stress of a job interview this morning (yay me!) combined with horrendous heat (95 degreees in Los Angeles -- gaaaaaah) and resultant dehydration and unconsciousness. Still, I managed to cram in loads of soap.

Back from my interview in time to catch the last half hour of ALL MY CHILDREN. This is becoming a regular habit with me; will there ever be a day I actually see a whole episode without resorting to Soapnet reruns and their obnoxious onscreen logos? (RELATIVE MADNESS can go kiss my ass. But that is a topic for another day...) Anyhoo, Angie and Jesse must be one of the most realistic couples in daytime with their little jokes and longtime ease with each other showing in every scene. Rest of the show -- meh, not so interesting.

DAYS OF OUR LIVES was certainly interesting today. Sami forgave EJ for raping her and they promised to never mention that night again AND THEN SLEPT WITH EACH OTHER. Is this realistic? Hell no. Is this a bit offensive? Sorta yeah. Is this good for the show? Yep, because I want to see Sami and EJ together and the rape story was crap and best forgotten. I think I don't mind rewriting soap continuity if you're cleaning up past writing teams' mistakes.
I can watch Nick and Max act out their GOOD WILL HUNTING schtick for an entire episode. Please, DOOL writers, give Nick a love interest NOW! I say Morgan will be a fun match; more sparky than her and Philip and Morgan did show interest in Nick's alternative fuel source while Chelsea and Steph were bored.

GENERAL HOSPITAL was also interesting. Sonny should smack Carly for having sex with him and then demanding he relinquish all rights to Morgan. Carly has always been a manipulative cow and I am not liking her nowadays. Claudia and Nicolas interacting brought two mediocre storylines together to create something a bit more compelling. I hope there is some follow through on Nicolas learning that Claudia ordered the hit on Sonny.

After I woke up from a loooooooooong nap, the Employed Boyfriend and I watched AS THE WORLD TURNS, which is my favorite soap because no matter what is going on, there are always character moments that make me smile and applaud. Plus, ATWT has the best cast on daytime. Today, I love Margo asking Tom if he'd still love her when she's old and dumb and ugly . Ellen Dolan reels off lines like that as if they're improvs, and I love her for it!
The preview for tomorrow's show is very exciting. Col Mayer! Shocked Ameera! And even though the preview didn't show it, a kiss between Noah and Luke!

I think it's pretty much a given that tomorrow's ATWT will be gobs more exciting than the episode of GOSSIP GIRL I sampled tonight. I've never watched GG before, and while I will still be checking it out, I wanted to love this show instead of just being mildly entertained by it. I was inspired by the recent NEW YORK magazine cover story on GG to tune in and DVRed the repeat of the penultimate episode. The show is dramatically all out of whack. There was a major scene where Serena is supposed to confront the consequences of what she has done AND IT ALL HAPPENS OFF CAMERA. They couldn't hire a couple of actors and redress a set to stage a scene that is the dramatic crux of the episode, possibly the event that provides the entire backstory for the season? There is no excuse for shortchanging your drama by leaving out THE DRAMA.
Here's hoping the season finale is better. GG, you're getting a second chance.
xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I haven't watched US day-time soaps for over 10 years, but last time I checked, Jesse was DEAD! D-E-A-D! Now while I loved me some Jesse/Angie, Greg/Jenny (especially during the 1984 Olympics), dead is dead, my friend. Almost as bad as Dirty Den returning to EastEnders. (Will you be reviewing 'Enders?)

Soaps love a good, rape-to-love story; Luke and Laura, Todd and Marty. Very offensive, very lazy and a whole lotta fun!

Unemployed Soap Viewer said...

Ah, Jennifer, Jesse is alive and well!! To their credit, ALL MY CHILDREN have (repeatedly) addressed this. To their discredit I'm still scratching my head and trying to figure out how JESSE WAS SEEN AS A GHOST (!) over the years!

There were some wonderful vintage clips of Greg and Jenny today as Greg returned for Angie and Jesse's wedding! I too remember the 1984 Olympics episodes. I think Jenny's death was the first time I realized soaps could be dramatically powerful as well as escapist entertainment.

I would love to review EASTENDERS but BBC America hasn't shown it since 2003! Otherwise I could watch 5 YEAR OLD episodes on my local PBS station. When they eventually catch up to the point BBCA left off, I certainly will be writing about it!