Tuesday, June 10, 2008

80s FLASHBACK!

Are the makers of THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL taking the piss or what? I was laughing my head off at Heather Tom in acne makeup and then my jaw dropped open at the scene of her CARRIE-esque prom humiliation (no pig's blood, alas.) My own personal '80s flashback occurred: the ribbing B&B got during the show's inception for having a character whose entire storyline was having pimples! Seeing Nick as her "prom" date in the present day only served to further underline the disparity in age between these two. While unintentionally funny, I switched off B&B after the first segment.

ONE LIFE TO LIVE continued to impress. They sure know how to use a musical montage to lend dramatic weight. (Ellen Wheeler, are you taking note?) I like the way Adriana and Rex have ended their relationship in a mature, mostly non-histrionic way. We have a lot invested in these characters and it shows respect to the viewers not to get rid of Adriana in a hasty, contrived manner. (Chris Goutman and Jean Passanante, are you taking notes??) I also appreciated the scene between Sarah and Cristian as they talked about Nash and wine. It added some depth to their characters and relationship. And made me want to drink wine. And am I the only one who wants to see a Roxy/Charlie/Viki triangle?

DAYS OF OUR LIVES struggled to hold my attention. As the Unemployed Boyfriend said, "Wow, they're really taking the slow boat to China with this GOOD WILL HUNTING storyline, huh?" Hell yeah. There were some good John Black moments (like when he referred to Sami by the wrong nickname) but I think I'm sticking to Llanview for the moment.

GENERAL HOSPITAL knows how to keep me interested: Maxie and Spinelli! They don't even have to be together to be fabulous! Maxie agreeing to have sex with Johnny for money and to stick it to Lulu is nasty and wonderful. Spinelli dancing with Leyla and calling her "The Austenian One" because he thinks she's like a Jane Austen heroine just melted my heart. As did the scene where Leyla's mean friend dissed him and he didn't even defend himself -- so sad! GH could just keep on pairing up Maxie and Spinelli with every available person in Port Charles forever and I would happily watch.

I can not say the same for GUIDING LIGHT, which is now going off my radar for a bit because it is laugh-out-loud crap. "So...the guy who killed Tammy is now living in someone's garage while Daisy steals money for him? Why doesn't G'day (our cruel nickname for Cyrus) put him up?" queried the Unemployed Boyfriend, and I have no good answers. I giggled at the senes of Daisy stealing fake looking money from various places -- this is how Ellen Wheeler is paying her actors now! I also guffawed at the scene where Mallet shows up at the door because it was so ineptly directed it looked like he was hiding in Daisy's closet, BLUE VELVET-style. And don't get me started on G as a potential love interest for Ashlee. Last week I was worried GL was pushing Daisy and G as the new Tammy and Jonathan. What would be worse is forcing the talented Caitlin Van Zandt to be paired up with G instead. Caitlin -- get in touch with your agent and start auditioning for other shows NOW. You were great in THE SOPRANOS as Allegra so get back in touch with HBO! You are too good to be imprisoned within the confines of Ellen Wheeler's Camera-Phone (TM).

No comments: